Northampton County DA: Grand jury possible in deadly police pursuit investigation

♠ Posted by channel-top-news in ,,,,,,, at 20:49

Northampton County District Attorney John Morganelli said he has not ruled out the use of a grand jury in determining whether police were justified in using deadly force during a pursuit that ended in the death of Richard Scheuermann III.


In a news release sent out late Monday night, Morganelli said, "At the present time, I have not ruled out the use of a grand jury, or even a referral to the Office of Attorney General as the best course to assure that the ultimate decision on the use of deadly force is objective, unbiased and transparent."


Authorities said Scheuermann was involved in a police chase back in October after driving on the wrong side of the road in Palmer Township and failing to stop for the police.


The chase ended in Easton, where police say Scheuermann crashed his truck into a utility pole and rammed a police cruiser twice before officers opened fire.


At this point it is still not clear how he died.


Morganelli said Scheuermann was shot, but also suffered a self-inflicted knife wound to the neck.


Scheuermann's family is demanding answers into how he died.


On Monday, Morganelli said held an extensive meeting with state police and the coroner.


Following the meeting, Morganelli said he "requested that police obtain two additional pieces of information that I believe is necessary for a complete investigation. I expect to have that in the next few days. In addition, I need the coroner to officially certify the cause and manner of death. I believe the coroner is now in a position to do that also within the next few days."


Morganelli also noted, "I also placed a phone call today to Attorney Josh Karoly, counsel for the Schuermann family, It is my understanding that he conducted his own investigation and I want to give him an opportunity, if he chooses, to share any information he may have developed with me so that I am sure all relevant information that is out there is considered. Although I believe state police has provided me with all the relevant information, I welcome any additional information that Mr. Karoly may have uncovered or developed."


Morganellil concluded his statement by noting, "The events as they unfolded involved seconds and minutes. In fairness to the police officer and to the victim's family, there should be no rush to judgement . Now that the investigation has been largely completed, I need time to make the right decision."






from 69News:Home http://ift.tt/1IsUbBq

0 commentaires:

Enregistrer un commentaire