Municipalities search for salt as supplies dwindle

♠ Posted by channel-top-news in ,,,,,,, at 20:57

The search for rock salt in Berks County continued Wednesday, just hours before the region braced for yet another snow storm.



Several municipalities filed an emergency request for salt through their suppliers.



Greenwich Township was one of the municipalities that requested an emergency shipment, but was denied, officials confirm.



The township's road master, Bobby Follweiler, told 69 News Wednesday afternoon, there wasn't enough salt to cover the more than 70 miles of roadway in the township.



"I used what we had in stock, and now I'm doing everything I can to get a little bit more here in the shed," said Follweiler.



Follweiler was able obtain some salt from Northampton County late Wednesday afternoon.



The situation wasn't much better for large stores like Lowes in Muhlenberg and Spring townships. Officials said they should know by the end of the week when more salt will arrive.



Weavers Ace Hardware in Richmond Township, was also sold out of rock salt, so customers used an alternative, Solar Salt. Management said it gets the job done.



"It is salt. It works great. And matter a fact when we have really thick ice, I prefer to use solar because it's a bigger crystal and it won't dissolve as quickly," said Edward Shenk, president of Weavers.



Shenk adds that another shipment of rock salt should arrive by Thursday morning.






from 69News:Home http://ift.tt/1B4TImj

0 commentaires:

Enregistrer un commentaire